Thursday 21 May 2020

Enchanting English


Third most spoken language in the world!!
We know the reason how this language has been widely spread all around.

It's reached in our genes standing for more than hundred of years in our locality and we feel it as our own language despite having several other languages beside us.
Naturally, it being the language of our leaders we feel the same leadership quality within us when we use this language. This fact can be proven with the pride of the people who are able to speak fluently in this language.
No doubt, I too love English. I'm a great fan of the metaphysical poet John Donne, I love to read Blake, Keats, Yeats, Bernard Shaw, O Henry, Saki, Rudyard Kipling and many more; especially the Indian English writers like Kamla Das, R K Narayan, Ravindranath Thakur, Aurobindo Ghosh, Vikram Seth, Sudha Murthy,.......  who make me breathless to read them in just one go.

But here it's not about my taste or any individual's particular taste. It's all about camouflaging ourselves to look like the authoritative.
I too didn't start loving English without any reason. The love for this foreign language too has a story.
I had been an ardent follower of Premchand (Kalam ka Sipahi) in my childhood. I have read almost all of his novels and short stories, though I have forgotten about almost all of them today. I loved to read Nagarjun baba. Mahadevi Verma and Subhadra Kumari Chauhan were my idols. Dinkar ji and Gupt ji were like Gods of poetry for me. Everything changed when I had to choose a subject for my graduation.
I did my graduation from IGNOU. I had to choose my major subject. Science I had left long back as it was not possible for me to go for practicals and also I hated science for a while as I failed in that by not qualifying for PMT.
Language was my secondary dream that I had to choose for. Hindi looked a bit tough to me, also I recalled a few words of my hindi teachers how depressed they were in the school because of their lowest salary. Though they had to do the same work like other teachers, sometimes more as well but they were not paid accordingly. I decided my future and chose to go for Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare and Wordsworth than for Bharatendu, Pant, Prasad,  or Nirala.
©amritsagar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.

Decision

Whether to sit or stand straight, Whether to strol or run fast, Whether to end or start, Whether to go Left or Right; No way is wrong or Rig...